Step 7 : Mandatory Health and Hospitalization Insurance

All international students going to the Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Îles on all of its campuses must have a health and hospitalization insurance contract valid in Canada. The college is obliged by the ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et des Sports du Québec to include, in every student's file, proof that the student is insured.

Students from France, Île-de-la-Réunion and Guadeloupe

Students from France, Île-de-la-Réunion and Guadeloupe may benefit from the "Entente France-Québec", which gives access to the public health insurance program (free), the Régie de l'Assurance-maladie du Québec (RAMQ). Students can obtain Régie de l'Assurance-maladie du Québec insurance free of charge. Get the SE-401-Q-102 form before you leave, as you will need it for registering with the RAMQ.

Although we will help you through the steps, it is up to you to complete your registration with the RAMQ. As a per default procedure, we will register you with the private progam ($154 per month). You have until September 14th to prove that you have registered with the RAMQ, and get your private registration cancelled free of charge.

On receiving your health insurance card, go to room 110 at the Gaspé campus, or to the administration office at the Carleton campus. Billing for health insurance will ONLY be cancelled if you show proof of having obtained your health insurance card.

For more information about the RAMQ

toll free at 1-800-561-9749.

Students from Other Countries

Foreign students who are from countries without an agreement must get group insurance for foreign college students. The college will register you a little before you arrive. You will be billed on arriving at the college. The premium costs about $648 CDN for the year (for the rate of exchange, see